|The Ghost Hunter|
|The title card of The Ghost Hunter|
|Written by||Ivan Jones, Jim Eldridge, Roy Apps|
|Directed by||David Bell|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of episodes||18|
|Original channel||CBBC on BBC One|
|Original run||4 January 2000 – 18 February 2002|
The Ghost Hunter is an award winning British children's drama series created for the BBC and based on the books The Ghost Hunter by Ivan Jones. It was first broadcast in January 2000 and the last series was first broadcast in 2002. Repeats continue to be shown on BBC and CBBC as well as in other countries. The first and second series were later reworked into two ninety minute films.
School location scenes from each of the three series were filmed at St. Laurence School in Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire. Many of the castle scenes were filmed at Berkeley Castle in the Cotswolds.
The Ghost Hunter series revolves around Roddy and Tessa Oliver, two ordinary children whose lives are turned upside down when William Povey, a shoeshine boy from Victorian England appears in Roddy's bedroom as a ghost and appeals to him for help. The Ghost Hunter is searching for William in order to obtain 'spectral energy' which is only obtainable from capturing ghosts.
At first she seems concerned only to "collect" ghosts, but later her intentions become clear. She wants to use their energy to create a Time portal and pass through time itself and thereby have everlasting life. William's energy is especially high which makes him more attractive to the Ghost Hunter. As Roddy has second sight (the ability to see ghosts) and is the only person initially who can see William, he is the only person who can help him escape. Later, Tessa also finds she has second sight and can also see William. In their on-going battles, the two boys and Tessa, Roddy's sister, become firm friends and have many adventures together.
Although the series was a ground-breaking one for children's television and influenced other series which followed it, and although it had very high ratings, a fourth series was never commissioned, thus leaving some of the main protagonists, the Ghost Hunter and some of the children stuck in Victorian England.
Characters[edit | edit source]
- Roddy Oliver, played by William Theakston.
- Tessa Oliver, played by Verity-Jane Dearsley.
- William Povey played by Lee Godwin - A Victorian shoeshine boy.
- Mrs Croker, 'The Ghost Hunter'
- Clarence DeSniff, played by Richard Hanson - The hunter's assistant
- Elliot Town, played by Jack Quarmby - Roddy's best mate from the year 2027
- Murdoch, played by Glyn Angell - the keeper of Newgate Prison.
- Mr Oliver & Mrs Oliver, played by John McAndrew and Tracy Brabin - Roddy and Tessa's parents
- Leo, played by Eddie Brown
- Bex, played by Kelly Salmon
- Professor Darcy, played by Andrew Havill.